Camera Shots

 Camera Shots

Mid-shots: For a person, a medium shot typically frames them from about the waist up. This is one of the most common shots seen in films, as it focuses on a character (or characters) in a scene while still showing some environment. Asked my sister to stand and look pretty, while I took a picture from her waist up.


Long-shot: Shows the subject from top to bottom; for a person, this would be from head to toes, through necessarily filling the frame. The character becomes more of a focus than an Extreme Long Shot, but the shot tends to still be dominated by the scenery. I made my sister pose for the long shot but moved father back so I could incorporate the background like the trees and the fountain.


Two-shot: A shot in which two subjects appear in the frame. The two-shot is often used for romance, tension, and action. I asked my nephew to be part of my two-shot. I wanted to show the strong relationship bond they had so I asked my sister to carry him on her back. 


Point-of-view: Shot intended to mimic what a character in a scene is seeing. This puts the audience directly into the head of the character, letting them experience their emotional state. I sat in my sister's chair and put the phone near eye level to help create the point of view shot.


Over-the-shoulder: A popular shot where a subjet is shot from behind the shoulder of another, framing the subject anywhere from Medium to Close-Up. The shoulder, neck, and/or back of the head of the subject facing away from the camera remains viewable, making the shot useful for showing reactions during conversations. It tends to put emphasis on the connection between two speakers. I made my sister squat down as if she was going to say something to our nephew.  To give the feeling that she is about to say something.


Establishing-shot: It is used to establish the location and environment. It can also be used to establish mood and give the audience visual clues regarding the time and general situation. I went out to the front of my house into the street to make the establishing shot, also making sure to include no people in the shot.


Close-up: A shot in which a person's face fills most of the screen, although the term can also refer to any shot that appears to have been taken close range. An extreme close-up emphasizes a small area or detail of the subject, such as the eye(s) or mouth. I took a shot of my sister and zoomed in on the camera. I noticed it didn't work right so I took a picture and cropped it closer to her face to create the close-up.


Comments

Popular Posts